The 2015 Michigan Brewers Guild Detroit Fall Beer Festival has arrived and JR, Uncle Pete, and Dougout from MichiganBeerGuy.com and our Beer Nuts Podcast will be there along with thousands of other beer enthusiasts who treasure the best beers the Mitten State has to offer. We’ve compiled a list of 33 beers that we hope to try at the festival, and listed them by location. We’ve attempted to cover a variety of beer styles, but admittedly the list may be skewed towards some of our favorites including barrel-aged brews, stouts and porters, interesting fruit and herb combinations, and hop bombs. We’ve also tried to avoid beers that are readily available, with very few exceptions. Of course, anyone can do the same by downloading the program and creating your own custom wish list. We’ve selected 33 beers here as a wish list, acknowledging that not all beers will be available and that it would be challenging to sample all of these.
If you are a Michigan Brewers Guild Enthusiast Member, you are allowed to enter the festival one hour prior to the general public. It’s an investment that I find to be a bargain and will ensure that you get to try some of the more coveted beers that may not last long. And make sure you don’t miss the traditional Welcome Toast, firkin tapping, and Michigan Beer Fight Song, which will take place at 7:00 pm on Friday and 3:20 pm on Saturday.
Hope to see you at Eastern Market this weekend. Cheers to Michigan Beers!!!
- Batch Brewing: Dicksmasher– Imperial Stout. NOTE: If you don’t like dark beers, substitute a Phugget IPA!
- Greenbush: Tropicanabush– American Tripel with Orange
- The Livery: Maillot Rouge– Sour Barrel Aged Bier de Garde with raspberries
- Royal Oak Brewery: Roller of Big Cigars– Porter with Chili Peppers
- Saugatuck: Lord Stanley 3 in 6 Stout- brewed with ingredients poured into the batch from the Stanley Cup!
- Witch’s Hat: Dragon Water– Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Stout/Barleywine blend
- Brewery Ferment: Cowboy Killer – Stout with Vanilla Whiskey Tobacco
- Perrin: No Rules– Vietnamese Porter
- Short’s: Michigantuan– Michigan Cherry Double IPA
- Tapistry: Chocola Java Stout– Belgian Chocolate and cold-brewed Kona and Sumatra
- Bell’s: Traverse City Cherry Third Coast Old Ale – Barley wine aged with tart MI cherries in whiskey barrels.
- Falling Down: Zen Panda– Green Tea IPA
- Railtown: Citra Warrior– Imperial IPA
- Thumbcoast: Paddlin’ Porter– Coconut Porter
- Bastone: Black Jalapeño– Belgian Dark Strong with Jalapeño
- Bitter Old Fecker Rustic Ales: Fresh Hop Strutter – BBA Double IPA
- Founders: Backwoods Bastard– Barrel Aged Scotch Ale
- Griffin Claw: Apridisiac– Apricot Sour Ale
- Grizzly Peak: Bois Du Nord– Wood Aged Biere D’ Garde
- North Peak: Hoodoo– MI wet hopped IPA
- Odd Side Ales: Rum Dankster– Rum Barrel Aged IPA
- Pigeon Hill: Your Mom on French Toast– Russian Imperial Stout
- River Rouge: Mango Explosion– Fruit Wheat Ale
- Unity Vibration: Triple Goddess Bourbon Peach
- Blackrocks: Nice Berries– Imperial Saison with Blackberries
- Dark Horse: Cocoa Bourbon Nibbler– Chocolate Cream Stout
- Rochester Mills: Vanilla Eisbock
- Rockford: Erdbier– Weissbier with Michigan strawberries
- Schmohz: English Toffee ESB
- Stormcloud: Silver & Gin– Gin Barrel Aged Saison
- Dragonmead: Sin Eater– Belgian Style Dark Strong Ale
- Kuhnhenn: Bourbon Barrel 4th Dementia Olde Ale– BBA American Strong Ale
- New Holland: Galabier– Barrel Aged Belgian Dark Trippel