The 2015 Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Beer Festival is here
with over 100 breweries and 900+ Michigan beers available to enjoy. MichiganBeerGuy will be there along with thousands of other beer enthusiasts who treasure the best beers the Mitten State has to offer. I’ve compiled a list of 33 beers that I hope to try at the festival, and listed them by location. I’ve attempted to cover a variety of beer styles, but admittedly the list may be skewed towards some of my favorites including barrel-aged brews, stouts and porters, interesting fruit and herb combinations, and hop bombs. I’ve also tried to avoid beers that I’ve already tried or are readily available, with very few exceptions. Of course, anyone can do the same by downloading the program and creating your own custom wish list. I’ve listed 33 beers here as a wish list, acknowledging that not all beers will be available when I seek them out and that it would be challenging to sample all of these. But after whittling down my initial list, I couldn’t find any more worthy of chopping. Each of these has piqued my interest, so we’ll go with 33.
If you are a Michigan Brewers Guild Enthusiast Member, you are allowed to enter the festival one hour prior to the general public. It’s an investment that I find to be a bargain and will ensure that you get to try some of the more coveted beers that may not last long. And make sure you don’t miss the traditional Welcome Toast, firkin tapping, and Michigan Beer Fight Song, which will take place at 7:00 pm on Friday and 3:30 pm on Saturday.
Enough banter, on to the list. Cheers to Michigan Beers!!!
- Bell’s Wildberry Rye- BA Rye Pale Ale with berries and champagne yeast
- Block Mo Shugga Creme Brûlée Coffee Stout
- Eternity Brewing Deep Fried Twinkie Ale
- Greenbush- 31 ice cream flavors, take your pick!
- The Livery Half Truth- BBA Black Rye IPA
- Territorial BC Cereal City Champagne Berliner Weisse
- Thumbcoast Ravenscraig Cherry Vanilla Porter
- Batch Brewing Better Together- Scotch Ale/Imperial Stout hybrid
- Brewery Terra Firma Little Italy Honey Basil Ale
- Final Gravity Uranus on Fire Amber infused with roasted jalapeño peppers
- Old Mill Blue Balls Blueberry Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
- Sleepwalker Rum Barrel Aged Fenner Maple Wheat
- Grand Rapids BC Philanthropist Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
- Grand River Brewery Bourbon Maple Bacon Porter
- Gravel Bottom Front Porch Guava IPA
- Unity Vibration The Elder Wand Blackberry Elderberry Kombucha Beer
- Witch’s Hat DragonTrax- Bourbon Barrel Night Fury w/ peanut butter, cocoa nibs, coconut and vanilla beans
- Blue Tractor BC Cuke Silver Cucumber Witbier
- Brewery Ferment Passion & Pain Imperial Hefeweizen with passion fruit and scorpion peppers
- Griffin Claw Tutti Frutti Brett Beer with fruit
- The Mitten BC Batch 500 Triple IPA
- Odd Side Ales Rum Dankster Rum-aged IPA
- Paw Paw BC BBA King James Scotch Ale
- Rockford BC Hot Chuck- Ghost Pepper DIPA
By the River:
- Dark Horse Cocoa Bourbon Nibbler Cream Stout
- Kuhnhenn Cherry Oude Bruin Flemish Brown Ale with cherries
- Pike 51 BC Jeff’s Birthday Barleywine BBA English Barleywine
- Short’s Key Lime Pie
- Stormcloud Gin Barrel Aged Starbelly Saison
- Tapistry Quadrophonic Belgian Quad featuring light and dark Belgian candi sugar
- Jolly Pumpkin Fist Full of Limes Saison with lime & salt aged in tequila barrels
- Schmohz BC Peppercorn Pilsner
- White Flame Breakfast Blend golden coffee ale
The Ypsilanti weather forecast looks quite favorable for both Friday and Saturday, with a high in the ’80’s and partly sunny skies. Be sure and drink lots of water and eat some food. Treat the festival like a marathon and not a sprint, it will be much more fun if you pace yourself. And above all, please don’t drink and drive.
Enjoy the festival!